Under the constitution, everyone has the right to an effective criminal defense lawyer regardless...Read More
Ineffective Defense Lawyers
A competent defense lawyer is a crucial component of our legal system. Outlier death penalty counties are rife with poorly performing lawyers who rarely give the jury a reason to save the defendant's life. Of the death sentences imposed in Caddo Parish, Louisiana, since 2005, 75 percent of the cases involved at least one defense lawyer who, under the new case representation standards, is no longer certified to try capital cases in Louisiana. An investigation by the newspaper The Reading Eagle found: "Nearly one in five Pennsylvania inmates sentenced to death in the past decade were represented by attorneys disciplined for professional misconduct at some point in their careers."
"People who are well represented at trial do not get the death penalty...I have yet to see a death case among the dozens coming to the Supreme Court on eve-of-execution stay applications in which the defendant was well represented at trial." -Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Associated Press, April 10, 2001
- Expert: Crime registries turn people into pariahs with ‘very little to lose’
- Pretrial Detainees Are Being Billed For Their Stay in Jail
- A Distressed Man Came to a Police Station Looking for Help. Hours Later, He Was In a Coma.
- The Appeal Podcast Episode 8: The Racist Zeal of ‘Zero Tolerance’ and Trump’s Anti-Immigrant Escalation
- Buffalo Lawsuit Challenges ‘Racial Profiling’ in Traffic Stops
- EXCLUSIVE: Documents Reveal Bronx DA’s Office Is Still Withholding Key Evidence In Prosecution of Bronx Teen